Date: 18th March 2009 at 8:00am
Written by:

Once again a youthful reserve side, aided only by the experienced Linvoy Primus – does this mean he is being ‘primed’ for a return to the 1st team squad – secured a dramatic late win over an experienced Stoke side at the Britannia yesterday.

This is the report from the Pompey Site


Join the Vital Pompey Debate



Stoke Reserves 0 Pompey Reserves 1

Danny Bogard struck in stoppage time to give a youthful Pompey Reserves side victory against their much more experienced Stoke counterparts at the Britannia Stadium.

Linvoy Primus was the only senior player in the Blues line-up, but they produced a performance of heart and courage to take all three points in Staffordshire.

The hosts threatened first but Asmir Begovic kept out Richard Cresswell’s shot with his legs early in the game.

Pompey quickly created an opening of their own with Gael Nlundulu forcing Steve Simonsen into making a low save.

Begovic then made a fine stop to deny Henri Camara after the Senegalese striker had latched onto a long ball out of defence.

The goals were rarely being threatened but Camara almost broke the deadlock on 30 minutes, heading Michael Tonge’s free-kick against the bar.

Stoke had to make an early change when Matthew Etherington limped off after coming off worse in a challenge with James Hurst.

The hosts were dominating possession but they were constantly kept at bay by a Blues defence superbly marshalled by Primus.

Half Time: Stoke 0 Pompey 0

Former Blues defender Andy Griffin was first to threaten after the break but his effort drifted harmlessly wide.

At the other end, Marlon Pack played a peach of a ball to Andre Blackman on the left but the defender’s low cross into the area was skied high over the bar by Paris Cowan-Hall.

But Stoke were soon back on the attack and Cresswell twice fired wide before forcing a fine save from Begovic.

Danny Pugh’s strike then took a deflection off Camara as it clipped the crossbar and went over.

It looked to be only a matter of time before the hosts scored and Begovic was again at his best to deny Jimmy Phillips with his feet, before Camara shot agonisingly wide.

But instead it was Pompey who grabbed the winner through substitute Bogard, who curled the ball past Simonsen with virtually the last kick of the game.

Pompey: Begovic, Hurst, Primus, Mantyla, Blackman, Nlundulu, Pack, Kilbey, Mahoto, Navas Alors (Bogard 77), Cowan-Hall
Subs not used: Stewart, Woodford, M.Smith, Ciftci

Stoke: Simonsen, Griffin, Sonko, Cort, Dickinson, Olofinjana, Am.Faye (Phillips 46), Tonge, Etherington (Pugh 33), Camara, Cresswell
Subs not used: Grocott, Davies

Referee: Russell Fletcher