This is what linvoyforengland considers Pompey’s best 11.
This will be interesting, I thought a lot about this, thought about the many different players who had played for Pompey, (like Jimmy Dickinson, Guy Whittingham and Alan Knight). All Pompey legends but the more I thought about it the more I realised that I couldn’t just use them, because I had ever actually seen any of them play. So in the end I decided that my list would be the actual players that have helped make me the Pompey fan I am, players I have seen wear the blue shirt with pride.
This list is not by any means the best 11 Pompey players but my favourite.
1. Jamie Ashdown: Since I first saw him play in the second season I have liked him. He is a good shot stopper, and always works hard for the team.
2. Linvoy Primus: What can I say, the guys a legend. To me he epitomises everything I love about Pompey. Not the most gifted of players, but always gave his all, was a quick learner and a hard worker. Not only did he become a great centre half for Pompey he has become a great person and should be used by the league to show how players can really be role models in today’s society.
3. Dejan Stefanovic: He had the amazing ability to be simply breathtaking one week and absolutely hopeless the next. Think it was Manchester United second season up when we played them at Fratton Dejan put his body on the line time and again. As I said when he was on he was a joy to watch.
4. Super Matty Taylor: Wigan 2-1. Would have to go down as being one of the most important goals in recent history.
5. Gary O’Neil: Worked and worked his socks off week in week out. I was astounded last season when I heard that he had spurs in his ankle and had played for better then half the season without any injections.
6. Richard Hughes: He has all the grace of me trying to be a figure skater, (when you all meet me you will know what I mean) but he has this way of getting stuck in and doing the dirty jobs. He does them efficiently and effectively. He is the only player I have heard of that plays pretty much only the big clubs. It was actually surprised not to see him not on the team sheet when we played Man United recently.
7. Eyal Berkovic: I seriously don’t know, I just loved watching the guy play.
8. Patrick Berger: All I can say is that volley, when De Zeeuw passed him the ball with his back to the goal and he flicked the ball up, turned and kicked it on the volley straight into the top right-hand corner of the net. I loved watching him play. He had a real awareness of what was happening around him.
9. Benjani Mwaruwari: He paid Zimbabwe’s electricity bill. He works and works always tries to his fullest. I never had a doubt in my mind that he could score goals. They were always going to come. He has truly grown into a great player.
10. Teddy Sheringham: The guys like the energiser bunny. He keeps going and going and going. A superb player simply sublime.
11: Niko: All the skills of Ronaldo with out the bad attitude
So that’s my list. One of the things I love about Pompey is the way the team battles. So much like Portsmouth as a city Pompey football club are a team with heart, soul and the battler’s ethic. When the chips are down, you can count on something special. Each player I picked had and has all those qualities, and for that reason they are my favourite Pompey
Selected by – linvoyforengland in February 2008.
For more details on how you can select what you feel is Pompey’s best 11 and then submit it to me click here?
PLAY UP POMPEY!
No right or wrong?
Remember there is no ‘right or wrong’ it is the opinion of the individual who is selecting, people might not agree but it is their call, so lets respect this,