Date: 25th October 2009 at 4:46pm
Written by:

A chaotic mess had become a shambles but this now appears to be a farce of epic proportions now!

What am I talking about?

Portsmouth Football Club and all that has surrounded us the past few months – who has said what, did not say what, who owns us and for how long, what they actually do own etc…

Last week we had the claims of an interview granted to a Saudi paper, which was subsequently followed up by The Guardian – who withdrew what they published… The Pompey Site issued a statement of denial and legal action was threatened, all of which we are now ‘claimed’ to have withdrawn, along with that statement as we concede that this interview by Ali Al Faraj was in actual fact given? With it now also ‘said’ that is it actually PFC that could be facing legal action!

In ‘yet another’ twist The Sunday Mirror, who say they are the only British paper our ‘owner’ has spoken to, has again reported him as standing by his intentions for the club…

This is what they quote him as saying today: ‘I didn’t buy Portsmouth on a whim. I never intended to make a quick investment and get out.

‘I’ll be applying some of my business expertise and investing money to bring stability.

‘Even when my initial bid failed, I never gave up hope of securing the club and honestly felt that another opportunity would present itself.

‘When Peter (Storrie ) came to me requesting a short-term loan to help the club, it was at my suggestion that perhaps it would be more conducive for me to buy the club outright.

‘I think the former owner, Sulaiman Al-Fahim, realised the precarious position he was in when he was unable to secure funding in time to save the club and a deal was very quickly agreed.

‘And one of the reasons I made immediate changes to the board and brought in Avram Grant was to assure people that I was serious about the club. As it is, I watch all Portsmouth games at home and it’s my intention to come to the club in the next few weeks.’

The ‘private nature’ of the man and his ease at being is the ‘spotlight’ is what he says is behind his unwillingness to be more high profile but he says he remains committed and his plans for January remain as they were: ‘there has been far too much uncertainty surrounding the club.

‘Obviously staying in the Premier League is the main priority, but there are other issues that must be addressed. One of them will be funding to strengthen in January.

‘Money will be made available, but based on the assessment of the playing staff by Paul Hart and Avram Grant it’s likely we’ll only bring in three or four players in key areas.’

SAF was knocked as being a complete ‘chancer’ – and in all fairness most of this thinking was ‘odd’ to say the least – and ‘failing to deliver what he promised’ was also something people looked to. Whilst it is still early days for Al Faraj in his ownership, and the above comments sound positive enough, this has hardly started well has it? As for Peter Storrie for someone in the know he seems to know little about difficult questions when asked about ownership issued and the like – ‘another level’ this is not looking like being, let alone a decent level of ‘stability’ at the moment…

Seeing, what was it 9 academy coaches, including senior figures such as Paul Hardyman and Mark Chamberlain ‘relieved of their duties’ over the weekend and ‘talk’ of cheap, and I mean cheap as in £50 per night, hotels being used by the players it does not exactly paint a pretty picture does it? Nor does it seem to offer much confidence about the times ahead…

Why can we not just have it easy – have we managed to find not one, but two poor Middle East businessmen? Maybe this is harsh to say but statements, retractions and counter reactions are ‘unsettling’ to say the least.

Surely someone knows what the real truth is and just what the hell is going on at PFC, so can we just have some truth and a genuine level of transparency PLEASE!

PLAY UP POMPEY!


Bookmark and Share


Join the Vital Pompey Debate