Date: 26th May 2008 at 5:06pm
Written by:

The captain of our back-to-back Division One title winning sides, Reg Flewin, has sadly passed away at the age of 87.

The News reports that Flewin passed away peacefully on Saturday on the Isle of Wight.

I am sure there are very few of us that saw the local lad captain us to back-to-back titles in 1948/49 and 1949/50 but it does not mean that this is not sad for all with a love of Portsmouth Football Club, and I am sure that you will join me in saying that my thoughts are with his family at this sad time.

R.I.P Reg Flewin.

Since writing this article a comment has been made by a member, colsue, who saw Flewin play, this is what they had to say: ‘I was saddened to read of Reg Flewin’s passing. I watched nearly all the home games of the Back to Back championship-winning seasons.

‘Reg was a magnificent and inspirational captain, leading from by example. Like Bobby Moore, he had this uncanny ability to read a game enabling him to always be in the right place at the right time. He was never unruffled. Also, like his team-mate Peter Harris, he was locally born and bred and could often be seen around the locality helping out his father’s green grocery business.

‘Reg Flewin was a credit to the City, the Club and the Game and should be suitably recognised as such.

‘I was surprised that the Pompey official site didn’t make more of the news. I hope that he was able to enjoy seeing the team he loved and served so well winning the FA Cup a week before he passed away.’

The Pompey Site has now produced an article detailing the life and times of Reg Flewin, this is what it said…



Educated at St Luke’s School in Portsmouth, Reg nearly became an amateur boxer after being trained by the legendary Stoker Reynolds from the age of nine.

But football was his love and while representing the City schoolboys in the Pickford Cup, he was noticed by a scout from Ryde Sports who enticed him over to the Isle of Wight to play as a teenager for the amateur side.

Reg had taken an office job with the Danish Bacon Company in Goldsmith Avenue and was settling down until a Pompey scout recommended him to Jack Tinn. The centre-half was offered professional terms, which he signed on his 17th birthday.

Less than two years later he graduated to the first team and made his league debut against Grimsby Town in April 1939. He was the only locally-born lad in the side.

Sadly, the second world war interrupted Reg’s career. But during his time with the Royal Marines he was able to play for Pompey and was selected to play for England twice against Wales.

Reg became the automatic choice as Pompey’s centre-half in 1946, taking over the club captaincy from Guy Wharton aged just 26 a year later.

He formed part of the best half-back line in Pompey’s history with Jimmy Dickinson and Jimmy Scoular either side of him.

With goalscorers like Peter Harris, Duggie Reid and Jack Froggatt taking the headlines, Reg just got on with his job and it was a proud moment when he stepped up to accept the league trophy in 1949. An appendix operation prevented him from featuring in part of the successful title defence the following year.

Aged 31, Reg was approached by Southampton to take over as manager in 1952 but his loyalty to Pompey saw him decline the offer and Saints were relegated the following year.

He took his FA coaching badge and after his last match as a player in 1952 he remained at Fratton Park to become assistant manager to Eddie Lever. He was also editor of the programme between 1954 and 1959.

Bewildered by Lever’s successor Freddie Cox, Reg left the club and moved north to manage Stockport County in 1960, leading them to several thrilling FA Cup runs. He later moved back south and became boss at Bournemouth, but resigned in 1965.

After a short spell at Hastings FC, he returned to the Isle of Wight, accepting a post as Sports and Entertainment Manager at a hotel and holiday camp complex in Freshwater.

Join the Vital Pompey Debate